Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Vintage Chandelier

It's no secret that I love crystal chandeliers.  (The more bling, the better I say.)  A few months ago my sister was combing through her local antiques store for treasures when she happened upon a vintage (over the top) crystal chandelier.  It was expensive and the price was firm so she just admired it (snapped a few photos) and moved on.  About a month later she visited the antiques store again and the chandelier was still there.  It had dropped in price and had a sign on it that said "price negotiable."  Well, needless to say, the chandelier came home with my sister and was my birthday present last month.

   
I dropped the chandelier off (sans crystals) at Tipler's Lamps and Lighting in Austin for repairs.  It needed to be rewired, hardware added, the chain lengthened and the middle post repainted.  Here is a picture of the chandelier back from the repair shop.  It has an unusual design that I haven't seen before.



I removed the existing builder grade gold chandelier in the piano room (dining room) and installed the vintage chandelier.  After what seemed like hours of washing each crystal by hand, the chandelier shone in all it's glory.   I ended up painting the gold frame of the mirror white.  It harmonizes much better with the chandelier and the rest of the elements in the room.  It's a little old fashioned but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment