Tuesday, November 1, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude (Day 1)

                                                                        (source)                                       

In addition to my regular repertoire of home decor and DIY, I've been inspired to do a post a day on thankfulness for the month of November.  Not just gratitude for the big things like family, faith, health and safety but for the little things that I may take for granted or overlook.  I'm really going to make an extra effort to look for the good in not so good situations, too. 

So that brings me to the wonderful happening this evening that gave me the opportunity to be grateful.  One of my sons plays middle school football and tonight was the last game of the season.  It was held at a school that has seemingly narrow parking spaces so I made sure to park exactly in the middle of the slot.  When I returned to the minivan (my cool ride) after the game I noticed that a big white truck was parked unusually close to my vehicle.  Sure enough, there was a small dent with white paint on it on the side of my van from the truck.  I was quite irritated.  Especially when I had to inch out so I wouldn't hit the truck which also happened to be parked at an angle.  So instead of leaving a nasty note, slamming my door open on the truck, carving a naughty word on the hood or waiting to meet and start something with the owner, I decided to try to find the good in the situation and to get rid of my negative feelings.

Here is what I'm thankful for:

1) I'm thankful that it was just a dent and not a crushed bumper or something worse.
2) I'm thankful I have a vehicle that runs.
3) I'm thankful I was able to return home safely.

In choosing to be thankful, I was able to enjoy the aftermath of the football game (they had a big win) and not dwell on the damage caused by a careless (or minivan hating) driver.

(I wonder if my husband will be thankful when he sees the van...)


(photo credit: yankeemagazine.com )

No comments:

Post a Comment