Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude (Day 2 ) Mistakes in Decorating.

 I am so very thankful for the ability to make mistakes in decorating.  Truly, I am.  (Because I make enough of them...)  Design is an evolving process that needs or even requires mistakes along the way to improve, focus and develop.  Decor is such a personal and subjective thing that it is impossible to ever reach any sort of consensus on perfection.  Many times it's like a science experiment.  You try different combinations of color and technique until you deem your project a success.  And that success may be only temporary until you decide that your decor needs some updating or a different look.  I've painted every room in my house (some numerous times) as well as rooms belonging to friends and relatives.  I feel comfortable painting a room (even though I really don't enjoy it.) and choosing color but that wasn't always the case.  The very first room I painted I made so many mistakes with technique, supplies, paint type and color.  I hated every second of doing it and wasn't pleased with the finished result.  (Considering my first foray into painting it's a wonder I ever tried it again.)  I've learned that many times when I try something new there is a learning curve and that I will improve with each go at it even if the first time is an epic fail.


 Let me share my most recent decorating mistake.  I had a brilliant idea (or so I thought) about a month ago of adding pattern and a little shimmer to the hutch in my kitchen.  I thought of adding paper or fabric to the interior backs of each shelf.  Many people have done it with great success and I thought that I would love it, too.



I found some shiny silver wrapping paper with flowers a few weeks ago that I thought would be perfect.  I excitedly removed all the holiday decor the day after Halloween and got started with measuring and cutting the paper.  I decided to do just a temporary attachment to the hutch with tape to see if I liked it first.



Talk about mistakes...  It looked horrible!  Just like wrapping paper stuck to the back of the shelves.  (Which it was.)  It was too shiny and just wrong.


Putting everything back in made it look even worse.  Luckily, I was able to remove the paper in about 2 seconds and use it for it's original purpose-wrapping gifts.  Now I can still try another paper or fabric with a different color and pattern.  I actually think with my new crystal chandelier installed and the Halloween decor put away though that the hutch doesn't need anything else right now.  So my mistake with the paper was a good thing because it helped me focus on the design direction I needed to go.  Many design mistakes I'm not too thankful for at the time they happen.  (Like spending hours repainting a room.)  But usually after the fact, I've learned a technique or skill or just basic knowlege on what NOT to do that tends to be quite helpful on future projects.

So what do you say?  Is there a decorating mistake you've made that you are thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment