Thursday, October 27, 2011

How to Paint a Door (Without Removing It.)



I enjoy seeing houses that have the character to pull off having brightly painted front doors.  In my traditional neighborhood however, we have a home owners association so colorful doors are out.


My sad little door was in desperate need of some TLC.  It didn't look too bad from a distance.




But close up was another matter.  The door was directly exposed to the elements until my husband insisted on getting a glass storm door.  He liked the idea of being able to open the front door to bring in light but still have a "door" closed.   Many in our neighborhood have them but I am not a big fan.  We discussed and debated the merits of installing one and finally decided to do it.  (I finally gave in...)  Next it was time to resurrect the old wooden door.



The storm door isn't so bad after all and as an added plus, it protects the (already ruined) door from the weather.  The door looked so bad that I'm slightly embarrassed to even show the before pictures.



The inside finish was actually still in good condition.  I just never liked the orangey stain color.  It seemed to clash with everything.  (In fact, you could say that I detested it.)



Now, there are different ways to bring an old door back to life.  (I chose to do the easiest way with the least amount of work.)  I didn't want to remove the door from the hinges or remove the hardware so I just taped everything up.  I hand sanded the door with a coarser grit sandpaper first to remove all the old finish that I could.  I used a satin exterior paint and primer in one from Behr call Ebony.  (And then all the boring sanding and painting part.)  The wood was so damaged in some spots that even after sanding, the wood grain still showed through.  (We'll just call it character.)


Lets skip ahead to the part where it's dry and I don't want to paint anymore.  I added vinyl lettering (numbering?) on the front of the door with our house number.  (Just in case people don't see the numbers already on the large column to the right of the front door.)


Here is the finished door (finally) with the storm door propped open.  (It was necessary to keep it open otherwise the glass door would act as a big mirror and the picture wouldn't be of my handiwork on the door but a reflection of me standing there with my camera in my pajamas.)



One more picture of the weather beaten embarrassment of a front door.


And the delightful after.  (I think a new doormat should be next on the list.)


No comments:

Post a Comment