Monday, October 24, 2011

How to Install a Chandelier

                                   

It seems as though I've been so busy this week that I have been falling behind in my blogging.  (I guess I should plan on posting ahead of time like the pros do.)

It has been a long time coming but I finally have my Grandma's crystal chandelier hanging in my kitchen.  At the beginning of the year my Mom called from Arizona and said that she and my Dad were moving out of their home and were going to live in a "cozy" studio apartment.  She said that if I still wanted my Grandma's dining room set then I needed to figure out how to get it back to Texas.  To make a long story short, the dining set is temporarily stored back with my parents and I was able to bring home the chandelier this summer during our (long and hot) drive up there and back.



Here is the chandelier covered with dust after I pulled it from the box.  This light had a really long cord and was made to plug into the wall and then to hang from the ceiling from hooks.  All but one of the candle sleeves had been pushed up and were melted over the tops of the sockets.  Also, two of the the sockets didn't work and some of the metal was loose.




The chandelier needed some repairs as well as to be rewired and converted to a ceiling mount.  I checked out the different lighting shops in the area and decided to go with Tipler's Lamps and Lighting in Austin.  They had many interesting and beautiful vintage lighting for purchase.  The staff was friendly and the service was great.  My chandelier was ready the next day.  I would definitely use them again.

Originally I had planned on hanging the chandelier in the piano room (dining room.)  My sister, Sharla surprised me on my birthday with a vintage chandelier she found at an antique store.  The lamp from Sharla has more extreme bling and looks better in the piano room so Grandma's chandy was sent to the kitchen.  Above is a picture of the lighting fixture that the chandelier replaced.

How to Install a Chandelier  (according to Miss Charming):

1) MAKE SURE THE POWER IS TURNED OFF.  (Not just the light switch.)

2) DO NOT TRY TO DO IT BY YOURSELF-  I had installed the previous light in the kitchen solo and thought it would be no problem to remove it and install the chandelier by myself.  Save yourself some heartache, a little swearing and a few hours by having a buddy help you.  It is difficult trying to do things one handed while balancing a lighting fixture in the other.  An especially fun moment was when I was standing on the table trying to put the little plastic cap over the wires and keep the chandelier from falling out of my hands.  The plastic piece fell and rolled under the table.  I had to unhook all the wires from the ceiling to set down the lamp and crawl under the table for the cap.  (Good times.)

3) BE READY TO IMPROVISE-  Not all lighting has the same installation hardware.  I had to change a few things out as well as shorten the wires after I tried unsuccessfully to install it as it was.

4) BE PATIENT, YOU CAN DO IT!-  It's really not that difficult and the satisfaction of installing it yourself is wonderful!

 

The chandelier was finally up.  Then came the arduous task of washing and drying each of the crystals by hand.  They were dull from years of heavy smoking.  (Don't let your crystals smoke...)



And the finished chandelier.  I'm so happy with it.  (I still need to buy new light bulbs as the ones that are in there seem to give off enough brightness to light a small city.) 



Another view.  I think Grandma would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment