Friday, May 13, 2011

Glorious Globes

Aside from a tool of information, globes are heating up as a tool of decorating.



Their spherical shape brings interest to rooms that are filled with mainly squares and rectangles. (Sofas, bookcases, fireplaces, windows, pictures, rugs....)



They look great in clusters of different sizes.



They work well on top of bookcases, shelves and armoires. These globes are low enough to be functional as well as decorative.



I absolutely love the different blue tones. And of course, globes and chalkboards together bring a schoolhouse vibe to your decor.




Speaking of color.... This yellow definitely makes a statement! (WARNING: Don't stare at this globe for more than 2.5 seconds or retinal damage may occur.) I have to keep sneaking peeks at it since it's so cool. For some reason I picture this globe in a white padded room---okay, I've been staring at it too long....



In my son's room there is a ledge over the closet that would look great with a globe collection. We already have one globe so I stopped by Goodwill today to see if they had any. I found this one without it's stand. So basically it's an earth ball. The clerk was a young man and started throwing this up in the air and trying to spin it on his finger when I went to check out.


(I guess I could have stayed to play a little one on one but there was an older woman behind me in a hurry to pay for her plaid vest and plastic chicken figurine.)



I saw this globe there, too. I was hoping for more of the vintage look but this Leap Frog globe was only $ 2.99. (Yes, I know!) I cleaned it off and put batteries in it when I returned home and it looks like new. I've actually had fun playing with it. Now I'm sure it is geared towards young children but this ball is fun! I like the game where it says different locations and you have to find as many correctly in a time limit. The writing is so small and since I have "old lady vision" it really can be a challenge. (Or maybe I'm just easily amused by a shiny new toy.)



Anyway, I have a good start on a new collection or at the very least, geographical references for each of my pets.






(photo credits: my worlds, heart&home, globe, ofmiracleandwonder, fondalashay)






No comments:

Post a Comment